Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Golden Compass Blog

The movie was a little hard for me to fully understand. I feel that the film did not attack Christianity, though. It doesn't sound like it was created for any purpose, except to tell a fictional story. I, like many of my classmates, would have thought it was about the government, if Mr.Hughes didn't say otherwise.

“I don’t think that’s democratic,” he continued. “I prefer to trust the reader. I prefer to trust what I call the democracy of reading – when everybody has the right to form their own opinion and read what they like and come to their own conclusion about it. So I trust the reader.” I agree with Philip Pullman, the writer, about this. I don't believe he is promoting anti-Christianity or attacking Christianity. He just put a fictional story that he thought up in his head and has no control over how people respond to it. The story may merely mean nothing to him, but the world to someone else. Whether it is about government or Christianity doesn't matter. All that matters is the man made up a fictional story with no harm intended and got critized for having a great imagiantion.


http://www.christianpost.com/article/20071105/29957_'Golden_Compass'_Author_Denies_Promoting_Atheism_in_Books.htm

No comments: